Mar

Smart Bro Pocket Wifi

Loving my new gadget! Bought the Smart Bro’s pocket wifi last Monday so I would have my own AP everywhere! :) This will also serve as our condo unit’s wifi connection since it has the strongest signal.

Device features:

• WCDMA/HSDPA 2100/1900/850(900)MHz
  • GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz
  • 5.76Mbit/s HSUPA, 7.2Mbit/s HSDPA
  • WiFi Standard:  802.11b/g
  • Internal Antenna
  • indication LED (battery, signal, WIFI, network)
  • Micro SD card up to 32G
  • Dimensions: 98.5mm*54mm*13.9mm
  • Weight: 80g
  • Compatible OS: Windows 2000, XP, Windows 7, Vista, Mac OS , Linux.

Smart offers the Pocket Wi-fi for as low as Php 495/mo for 50hrs. or get it on prepaid for Php 4995! I don’t want to be locked to smart so I bought the prepaid instead. :) My connection in Tandang Sora was slow but when I tried it in Jollibee, Greenmeadows and it was ultra fast! One thing that I’ve noticed with the device is it gets very hot after using it for just 30mins.! I’m not sure if it’s a problem with the device, I may have to check that with Smart.

Package Inclusion:

• ZTE MF30
  • USB charger / AC
  • Smart Bro sim pre loaded with Php 20 with user guide
  • Pocket wifi user guide

How to reload your Smart Bro Prepaid account:

a. Smart Bro Load Card in the Philippines

b. E-load via 1.3-million Smart Load retailers nationwide.

c. via SmartMoney

Want unlimited surfing? Here’s how to register:

via Web Connect:

1. Log on to https://my.smart.com.ph
  2. Select Data Packages under Bro Packages
  3. Select unlisurf 50, 100 or 200.

via SMS: Text in these codes and send to 2200

• UNLISURF 50 – unlimited surfing for 1 day
  • UNLISURF 100 – unlimited surfing for 2 days
  • UNLISURF 200 – unlimited surfing for 5 days

How to check your Smart Bro balance:

via Web Connect: Just log-on to http://smart.com.ph/connect and register your SMART Bro prepaid account. Note: Registration only needs to be done once.

via SMS: using your Smart Bro sim, type BRO BAL and send to 2200.

11 comments

No ping yet

1. Frannie says:

Hi! I wanted to ask if you’ve ever tried using it while in a moving vehicle (Makati-Manila). Thanks :)

2. grace says:

Hi Frannie,

I tried it twice from a moving vehicle but the speed was dragging and quite frustrating. I guess it’s always looking for an available signal. I haven’t tried Makati-Manila all I tried was Eastwood – Tandang Sora.

3. TheBoss says:

Hey hi! I wanna ask, if you can use this via USB on a computer? coz my PC has no wifi. But i also want to use this when i’m away using my phone..

4. grace says:

Hi!

I haven’t tried that yet but as far as I know, you can’t use the pocket Wifi on your computer.

5. Acel says:

How do you register via sms? You have to insert the sim to a phone?

6. grace says:

@Acel: Yes, you have to insert the sim to a phone. That’s how I register via SMS.

7. Bong Estrella says:

First let me thank you for a very good info you offer here. I have a question though, is this device unlocked/open-line? Can I use it with, say, Globe sim card? Also, would you happen to know if this can be used in the US as well?

Thanks,
    be

8. grace says:

Hi Bong,

This particular device is locked with Smart so you can’t use other SIM cards. But there are stores selling unlocked versions. If you have the unlocked version, I’m sure you can use it in the US.

9. Bong Estrella says:

Thanks Grace. Is there any place you can recommend where I can get the unlocked versions?

10. grace says:

Hi Bong,

Sorry for the late reply. I’m not sure where you’re located but I’ve seen unlocked units from infomax (Trinoma) and the one beside Villman ) Trinoma. You can also try googling “ZTE or Huawei pocket wifi”.

Thanks!

11. Bong Estrella says:

Thanks Grace, I might just get an unlocked version here in the US :)